On my quest to quench Cam’s recent insatiable thirst for milk, I have come to the conclusion that you can only drink so much fenugreek tea or eat so many bowls of oatmeal before you want to just throw in the towel and succumb to the cruel truth that you just can’t make enough milk. Never one to give up, though, I decided to do a little research and come up with some recipes of things that I actually wanted to eat, that would also help to boost my milk supply. The hungry man seems to like the new output and I like the delicious new challenge.
First on the list to make are Rocky Road Lactation Brownies, mainly because I passed by a package of mini marshmallows during my last trip to the supermarket and couldn’t resist them. I also have never met a brownie that I didn’t like.
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cake flour (or all purpose)
- 1/4 cup oat flour (or all purpose)
- 1 tablespoon brewers yeast
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel
- 1 tablespoon ground alfalfa
- 1/2 tablespoon ground fenugreek
- 1/4 cup walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix oil and sugar until well blended.
- Add eggs and vanilla; stir until just blended.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Stir dry ingredients into the oil/sugar mixture.
- Pour into greased 9x9 square pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Add nuts, chocolate chips, and marshmallows to the top.
- Bake for an additional 5 minutes until the marshmallows puff and turn golden.
This was adapted from this recipe on Food.com for The Best Brownies. I usually look for brownie recipes that use oil instead of butter, and cocoa powder instead of unsweetened chocolate bars because that’s usually what is in my pantry. If you don’t have grapeseed oil, use vegetable oil or melt a stick of butter.
Don’t skip the fenugreek, alfalfa, fennel or brewers yeast as those are what will produce lactation benefits. Let’s be honest, fenugreek is not my favorite taste in the world. But if you want better results when pumping, fenugreek is your new go-to spice. I have found that you can hide pretty much anything in chocolate to make it palatable, so throw it in some brownies and you’ll barely notice it. You can find bulk spices like the alfalfa, fennel, and fenugreek at Mountain Rose Herbs. Using some oat flour in place of all purpose flour will add some lactation benefits, but not enough to justify buying some just to use a 1/4 of a cup here. If you have some in your pantry already, throw it in.